Posts Tagged ‘makeup brushes’
it’s 2012 already! in a few months, my blog will be celebrating it’s first anniversary! yippeeee (hehehe). since i’ve started blogging, i’ve acquired more makeup than i can ever imagine! i know at some point in time, i have to start disposing / selling of some of ’em products. but for the meantime, im still enjoying myself 😀
for my first post for 2012, i’ve decided to create a list of my favorites for 2011… this was a tough job! i had too many beauty products that i had a hard time selecting the best! therefore, for some categories, i had identified two or three products hehe. but here goes:
liquid foundation: NARS sheer glow and Makeup Forever (MUFE) Mat Velvet +
powder foundation: Laura Mercier Powder foundation; MAC studio fix; Pur Minerals 4-1 foundation
face powder: MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural
loose powder: Chanel loose powder and Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Powder
undereye concealer: MUFE lift concealer, MAC studio finish concealer
concealer (face): MAC studio finish concealer
liquid eyeliner: majolica majorca perfect automatic liner
gel liner: MAC fluidline
eyeliner pencil: MUFE aqua liner
eyebrow essentials: tony moly retractable pencil, MAC eyeshadow in espresso and MAC brow gel
eyeshadow: MAC eyeshadows in Bronze, Cork, Elektra; Sleek Makeup palettes; and Urban Decay Naked Palette
eyeshadow primer: NARS Smudgeproof eyeshadow primer
eyeshadow base: MAC paintpots
cream shadow: Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color
blush (powder): NARS Amour and Deep Throat; Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in Blushing Bride
blush (cream): NYX
bronzer: NARS Laguna bronzer
highlighter: NARS copacobanna multiple and illuminator; theBalm loumanizer
lipstick: NARS funny face; Revlon Mauve it Over; MAC Viva Glam I (which i discovered on the last week of 2011!)
lipliner: wetnwild – cheap and nice!
lip gloss: revlon colorburst lipglosses
makeup brushes: SIGMA; ELF brushes (with the black handles)
mascara: maybelline falsies
lash curler: shu uemura
facial wash: OBAGI; BELO bar soap (prescriptives); VMV Hypoallergenics
facial moisturizer: creme de la mer; kiehl’s midnight recovery concentrate
sunblock (face): VMV Hypoallergenics armada spf 45 sun protection
toner: burt’s bees rosewater & glycerin toner
eye cream: human heart nature sunflower oil
makeup remover: eyes – laura mercier oil free makeup remover; face – shu uemura cleansing oil
body soap: DOVE bar for sensitive skin
body lotion: cetaphil body lotion and kiehl’s creme de corps
nail polish: OPI and Orly
shampoo: Jurlique (sad they closed the store in GB5) and Pureology
whew! what a list. hope you found this useful! 🙂
sorry i didnt post pictures… it’ll take years for me to complete this post if i include pictures!
happy 2012 everyone! looking forward to a great year ahead!
i am a firm believer of investing in good makeup brushes. it usually is the least priority of many but, in my opinion, it is the most important tool in your beauty kit. good tools equate to good output – does it not? 🙂
most of us tend to settle with using the brush or sponge-tip applicator than comes with. to be honest, i haven’t seen a compact makeup brush that actually does a good job (not even chanel). most often than not, the makeup brush that comes with your compact is too small which makes application and blending such a tedious job OR is too coarse which feels harsh on your skin.
when i started with makeup, it was hard to come by cheap yet good makeup brushes – back then you really have to shell out money to get good quality brushes! but now, with brands like sigma, suesh (local brand) and korean brands coming into play, people have more choices of good and affordable makeup brushes! even local and drugstore brands like nichido and ELF are coming out with good quality brushes.
so what are the essential basic makeup brushes that you should have? here are my thoughts:
1. blush brush – can double as your powder brush or contour brush, depending on the size. a good blush brush is the key to a natural looking blush application! you need to look for a brush that is not coarse and feels smooth to the skin. the head should be dense enough to pick up the right amount of product.
2. powder brush / kabuki brush – good for applying powder to set your makeup and for blending makeup together. kabuki brushes are smaller and are more handy – great for touch ups! again, the brush should be dense and should be soft to the touch.
3. eye shader brush – good for applying eyeshadow all over the lids. there are different sizes of eye shader brush, i would recommend a medium-sized eye shader brush so that you can use it to apply color to the crease as well.
4. eyebrow brush – a well-groomed eyebrow can make or break your look. so it is important that you have the right tool to complete your entire look. an eyebrow brush can also double as an eyeliner brush.
5. stippling brush (optional but absolutely great to have!) – a multi-tasker – can be used to apply liquid and powder products. can be used to apply foundation, blush, powder or highlighter. stippling brushes tend to pickup lesser products so it is best used for highly-pigmented products
makeup brushes are really a good investment… the first brush investment i made was a MAC 129 brush (blush brush), i had it for more than 8 years and it is still in good shape! as long as you take care of them, they will last you a lifetime 🙂
i would also recommend SIGMA brushes. they are US-made brushes that ships internationally. i have several Sigma brushes which i will do a review on but basically i would say they are the BEST medium-ranged brand! 🙂
good night! and happy harry potter’s day! LOL